How to Install an Index V2 Braille EmbosserGiuseppe Di Grande Published the 11/07/2013 00:00
Here I explain the procedure to install an Index version 2 embosser and configure it in Biblos. These operations, if you are not an expert, should be done by a person or a technician you trust.
Index version 2 Braille embossers differ from Index version 4 embossers in their front panel. If you touch the VALUE, ITEM, GROUP buttons on the far right and they are marked in Braille as VA, IT, GR, it means that you have an Index embosser prior to version 4. If your embosser has only a serial port and a parallel port, no USB port, it is an Index version 2 embosser.
The prerequisites are to have an Index V2 Braille embosser (Basic D, Everest D, or 4X4) and to have Biblos installed.
- Keep your Computer switched off and connect the embosser via the parallel port. If your Computer does not have a parallel port, buy a parallel to usb adapter cable: you will connect the cable to the parallel port of the embosser and to a Usb port of the Computer;
- Open the embosser device manager from the Control Panel. Add a new embosser, but disable any automatic Hardware detection. Manually complete the selection of the port where the embosser is connected and the selection of the driver. From the list of embosser manufacturers, choose General, and from the list of drivers, select Generic Text Only. Go ahead with the installation and skip the print test. Do not set the embosser as the default (*);
- Start Biblos by clicking on the "Biblos" icon on the desktop;
- Use the configuration wizard by clicking on the menu Tools/Biblos/Configuration Wizard...
- In the "Braille device" field, choose the driver of your embosser, the one installed in the previous steps, that is, Generic Text Only. If the driver is not present, go back to the previous step and check the correctness of the driver installation;
- In the "Braille Model" field, choose the Index Braille v2 model;
- On the front panel of your embosser, locate the VALUE button (in Braille VA), located on the far right of the panel;
- Press the VALUE (VA) button. The embosser will recite two configuration values: characters per line and lines per page. Keep these two values in mind;
- Back in the configuration wizard of Biblos, in the field "Characters per line" enter the value heard (**);
- In the field "Lines per page" enter the value listened to (**);
- In the "Page numbers" field, choose the position where you want to have the page numbers;
- Confirm the configuration by clicking the Confirm button;
If the procedure has been completed correctly, your embosser is ready to use and you can immediately make your first Braille print with Biblos using File/Braille Print... menu.
(*)The Generic Text Only driver belongs to Windows, so you do not need any installation setup or additional CD. You must pay attention to the port on which the embosser is connected, because if it is not indicated correctly, printing will not start. In such cases, go back to the management of printing devices, open the properties of the driver already installed and change the port.
(**) For an optimal configuration of the pages you should reset the margins that may be configured in your embosser. In this case it would be advisable to enter the SETUP of the embosser, from the front panel, and reset any margin. The margins will be controlled only from Biblos.
For further support you can subscribe the Biblos Group on Facebook.